News

City lose their first domestic game of the season 4-3 at Liverpool : Next game Saturday 20th January 5.30PM Newcasle Live on BT (H) 

Topic: Dalian Atkinson R.I.P  (Read 1738 times)

Offline Derbyshire Blue

Dalian Atkinson R.I.P
« on: August 15, 2016, 12:04:41 PM »
I know he wasn't with us for long, but killed when police tasered him earlier today. Great player for Villa and Wednesday.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 08:18:22 AM by CiTyBlUe »

Offline Cardiff Blue

Re: Dalian Atkinson R.I.P
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 12:33:07 PM »
Agreed - wonderful player but a bit overweight and on his way out when he played for us.

Didn't a journalist once ask Ron Atkinson if Dalian was his son?

Offline Moon

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 01:16:46 PM »
Just hear on the news 

Shocked  wonder  why  he  was tazzered

Offline stevenryals

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 03:17:32 PM »
Saw it just now.  Sad.  Rip.

http://www.unilad.co.uk/sport/former-premier-league-footballer-dies/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Moon

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 04:30:51 PM »

CiTyBlUe

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 06:07:08 PM »
RIP, only made a few appearances for us didn't he, can't say I remembered, still the Police need to stop using these bloody tasers and revert to good old wrestling and the stick as last resort. Tasers is a stupid idea and they should be banned, Taser is just a glorified Knife.

Offline Cardiff Blue

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 07:05:51 PM »
Nothing too wrong with tasers if they are used correctly.

Unfortunately incidents like this can happen if the one who is tasered has a dodgy ticker, but police are not to know that.

Will be interesting to see the full facts on this ie. was the copper in danger, was there a third party in danger, did the copper have the chance to call for back-up, or was the copper just too keen to pull the trigger etc. etc.

CiTyBlUe

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 10:31:06 PM »

Unfortunately incidents like this can happen if the one who is tasered has a dodgy ticker, but police are not to know that.

Will be interesting to see the full facts on this ie. was the copper in danger, was there a third party in danger, did the copper have the chance to call for back-up, or was the copper just too keen to pull the trigger etc. etc.

Police should be doing their research before using them then shouldn't there, there's no excuses mate, none at all. The Police in the UK have full access to medical records, DVLA records, Criminal Records. Tasers should only be used by armed responce, yet every single station has tasers with a officer apparently fully trained, whatever that's supposed too mean. Tasers are no different from a Gun, I don't care what anyone says they should be banned full stop.

Offline Cardiff Blue

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 11:50:59 PM »

Police should be doing their research before using them then shouldn't there, there's no excuses mate, none at all. The Police in the UK have full access to medical records, DVLA records, Criminal Records. Tasers should only be used by armed responce, yet every single station has tasers with a officer apparently fully trained, whatever that's supposed too mean. Tasers are no different from a Gun, I don't care what anyone says they should be banned full stop.

..or the person about to be tasered should stop being a dick

CiTyBlUe

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 08:06:53 AM »

..or the person about to be tasered should stop being a dick

Cardiff the ex cop who was interviewed this morning said it in a few simple words, they should only be used as a LAST RESORT. I highly suspect this case was not a last resort, more a Taser happy officer. The facts aren't out but the fact 2 confirmed people have been killed by Tasers and 4 unconfirmed people have more than likely been killed by Tasers warrants the question. Should they be banned, I say yes because they're no different from a guns or a knife. The Police don't need Tasers, they didn't need them before they were introduced. What happened to teaching Officers hand to hand combat like the SAS do to disarm, the Police already have Armed Response so there's no need for Tasers anyway. I'll tell you what the fking problem is, the Government making constant cuts on our Emergency Services. 10,15 years ago we had two man patrols on our streets, now all you see are officers riding solo in cars or teamed up with a freaking Community Officer. Response Times are ridiculous, people waiting 3 to 4 hours for Officers to respond, even Ambulance Services not turning up, I witnessed quite a few people who have requested Police or Ambulances and ended up having to get taxi's to Hospital or wait 4 hours for a response. Tasers are only really used because Police are under manned so it's easier to send one officer out with a Taser rather than 3 or 4 out to wrestle someone down. Answer me this question, why do the Police try their best to keep these stories quiet? West Mercia Police failed to report the incident and say anything on their Facebook page, plenty other Crimes were though. So what the Police killing someone isn't a Crime now?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big supporter of the Police that do a good job, but I ain't about to support them for stupidity and negligence.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 08:14:52 AM by CiTyBlUe »

Offline Cardiff Blue

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 09:05:24 AM »
Interesting points there CiTyBlUe and I agree in that tasers should only be used as a last resort.

It may also be that in this particular case it was a trigger happy copper but we don't know what the full story is yet.

However tasers are a weapon and do carry risks, and can kill if the person being tasered has a weak heart (which neither the police or their victim might not even be aware of).

You talk about teaching police hand to hand combat - I am sure an element of this goes on already, but let's not forget Dalian was quite a big man. Maybe not so easy to control if the policeman is small, or even a policewoman? What should they do then? Wait until the aggressor has killed or stabbed somebody?

Armed response unit? Ok, but this was Shropshire, not inner city Mcr.

Why do the police like to keep these stories quiet? I thought it pretty obvious to be honest, in much the same way that a manufacturing company does not brag about a poor injuries at work record.

As I said earlier tasers do carry risks and unfortunately can result in deaths of he one being tasered has a dodgy heart.

You might have a point about tasers being used as police are under-manned but notwithstanding this,  tasers can and are used both as a deterrent to calm a situation down ( assuming warnings given out first) as well as (in most cases) preventing the situation getting worse, albeit not in this particular case.

The bigger question may be though the increased use of PCSO's to patrol our streets instead of real policemen?

I am sure the police would love to have the days back when they could blow a whistle and shout 'Stop!' whereupon some happy go lucky Victorian rogue would give himself up. However these are now the days of armed gangs, knives on the streets, etc. Society has changed the rules. Even so I would prefer the everyday Bobby to have tasers rather than a gun.

Without knowing the facts of this case, and whether Dalian Atkinson was being an aggressive pissed up fool, I am now waiting for some reactionary Black Lives Matter protest now...