Author Topic: Durham relegated  (Read 1262 times)

Offline Moon

Durham relegated
« on: October 03, 2016, 03:22:37 PM »
Durham have been relegated from the first division due to financial problems
Their win over Hampshire kept Lancs up and relegated Hampshire
But now Hampshire are back in division 1
Bluewatch MCFC Forum

Offline Cardiff Blue

Re: Durham relegated
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 12:19:27 AM »
Could do with about another 8 teams in Division 1 falling foul of ECB financial rules at which point Glammy might then get promoted in their place....

Offline skipper

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 11:31:19 AM »
The ECB put them under pressure to upgrade their stadium to retain Test Match status then take it away from them because they spent to much!!

You couldn't make it up.

Offline Moon

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 12:02:50 PM »
Is a wonder how teams survive as the 4 day games all seemed to be played in near empty grounds
Bluewatch MCFC Forum

Offline Cardiff Blue

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 07:10:55 PM »
Not too sure about the politics of hosting test matches but don't the ECB invite bids from counties for the right to host tests?

It may put money into the coffers of the ECB but if the test series is a wash out or poorly attended then the host county stands to lose millions - this happened with Durham, and it happened with Glamorgan a few years back when they bid about 0.5m. (I think) to host a Sri Lanka test series in May which was badly affected by bad weather.  Partly as a result of that, Glamorgan ended up something like 4m. in debt, but were able to survive mainly because one of the major debtors, Cardiff City Council, wrote off a large part of that debt.

I'm all for test matches being played around England & Wales but there has to be a better way of dealing with the hosting of international matches rather than just through a bidding process.

Offline Ginmasine

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 10:43:10 AM »
I do not want to believe that I have seen this article.

Offline Moon

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 12:27:49 PM »
I do not want to believe that I have seen this article.
Don't stop believing
Bluewatch MCFC Forum